Nova is a complete sound solution that combines a mixer, a recorder, ZaxNet remote control and wireless receivers into one compact and lightweight device.
Nova features 4 XLR mic/line NeverClip inputs with 48V phantom power and 2 line level balanced inputs. 4 external AES inputs and 6 analog/AES output buses. 2 AES42 microphones can connect to the AES inputs. 4 channels of AES sample rate converting inputs can connect to external wireless receivers.
Nova can record up to 12 channels of audio with 24 bit depth. Sample rates include 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 96 and 192. Audio can be recorded individually or simultaneously two compact flash cards. Files are recorded as MARF II, a lossless fault tolerant recording format to the internal drive or as Broadcast Wave files (BWF).
5 faders are high resolution continuous encoders with led indicators to indicate fader position and can display precise input audio level metering. The faders are user organized into 4 banks of 5 sources. Fader control, trim control and ZaxNet transmitter preamp gain are all accessed with the touch of a single button.
Two optional QRX212 dual receivers can be installed inside the Nova. All connections are made without external cables. Each QRX212 can receive audio from up to 2 separate transmitters in mono or stereo mode for up to 8 channels of wireless audio total. The QRX212 receivers are the same as found on the RX-12 and RX-12R and are interchangeable with the Nova.
The QRX212 receivers are fully integrated into the Nova. When a frequency is changed, both the receiver channel and the transmitters on the talent are changed at the same time. When frequency scans are initiated, all transmitters on talent are put in non-transmission mode so an accurate scan can be done. Once the scan is complete all transmitters and receivers can be assigned to clean frequencies instantly with the touch of a single button. The transmitters will automatically be enabled on the new frequency.
Full integration of Zaxcom Digital Recording Wireless with the Nova makes for a unique and powerful system. Track names from the recorder can be automatically sent to the backup recordings on the wireless transmitters for easy identification in post. As an alternative, transmitter names can automatically rename the ISO tracks of the recorder. The Nova’s transport control can automatically control the recording on the bodypack transmitters so that there is a matching file on the transmitter for each recorded file on the Nova. Timecode is automatically jammed remotely on each recording transmitter without the need to jam with a hardwired cable.
Nova includes a 35 MHz tunable tracking front end filter for the wireless receivers. This filter allows for rejection of interfering sources like UHF walkie talkies.
Nova’s graphical user interface is intuitive and simple. All buttons and knobs are ergonomically spaced to eliminate accidental bumping of levels due to overcrowding of buttons and switches on the front panel. An LCD paired with 6 push buttons provides menu navigation.
ZaxNet remote control gives the ability to adjust frequency, preamp gain and output power on Zaxcom transmitters eliminating the need to approach the talent.
Audition and Re-record allows for instant remix and recovery of dropouts due to RF transmission interruption.
Nova uses two power inputs for redundant operation. External power distribution is not necessary as no external hardware is needed when using the Nova.
- ANALOG IN
- Inputs: 4 Mic/line-level with 48V phantom power and 2 line-level
- Connector: 4 x XLR-3F (2 with .25” jack)
- Mic level input range: -56 to -26 dBu
- Line level input range: -10 to +8 dB
- Distortion: 0.0015%
- ADC bit-depth: 24 bits
- Dual ADC input dynamic range: 140 dB with NeverClip™
- Clipping level: +28 dBu
- Frequency response: 28** Hz to 22 kHz (48 kHz sampling-rate)
- THD + noise: 0.0015%
- ANALOG OUT
- 4 Balanced TA5 (6 bus) – 0dBu, -10dBu and -35dBu
- Headphone: 1/4 inch stereo bus
- Output level: 0 dBu @ -20 dBFS
- Output Clipping level: +20 dBu
- DAC Bit-depth: 24 Bits
- DAC Dynamic Range: 115dB
- Impedance: 30 ohm
- DIGITAL IN / OUT
- AES / AES42 In: 2 Pair (4 Channels)
- AES Out: 3 Pair (6 Busses)
- Connector: DB-15 mini (DE-15)
- AES Sample rate conversion: 32-96 KHz
- ZAXNET RF INTERFACE
- 2.4 Ghz Transmitter: 50mW output power
- Frequency Range: 2.403 to 2.475 GHz
- Modulation Type: Spread Spectrum
- Bandwidth: 1MHz
- Connector: SMA female
- QRX212 Receiver module slots: 2
- RF Connectors: 2 SMA
- RF Impedance: 50 ohm
- RF Amp Noise Figure: .5 dB
- RF Amp IP3: +30 dB input
- RF Filter Band Pass: 35 MHz
- RF Tuning Range: 512 – 698 MHz
- QRX212 MODULE
- Receivers Channels Per Module: 2
- Receiver Modulation: Zaxcom Proprietary Digital
- Tuning Range: 512 – 698 MHz
- Power Consumption: 200 ma @ 12 VDC
- Size: 5″ x 3″ x .8″ (L x W x H)
- Track count: 12
- Bit-depth: 24 bits
- Sample rates (kHz): 44.1, 47.952, 48, 48.048, 96,192
- (192 4-track maximum)
- Head room: 20 to 44 dB
- Format: MARF II, .BWF
- Max Pre-record duration: 10 seconds
- DATA STORAGE
- Internal: Dual Compact Flash
- Mixer Type: 32 bit floating point DSP
- A-D / D-A resolution: 24 bit
- Delay: 0 to 60 mS in .1mS steps
- Notch filter: 2 band, 20 Hz to 20 kHz frequency range adjustable
- Compressor type: soft knee with side chain
- High Pass Filter: 20 Hz to 230 Hz
- TIMECODE READER/GENERATOR
- Timecode type: SMPTE
- Connector: BNC
- Input Voltage: 1-4VPP
- Output Voltage: 2VPP
- Clock Accuracy: 1.54 PPM
- Timecode Frame-rates: 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97NDF, 29.97DF, 30NDF, 30DF
- External: 8 to 18 VDC
- External Power: 8 to 18 VDC (12V @300mA)
- Power Connecter: Hirose
- Battery Meter: Yes, on LCD display
- Size (H x W x D) 2.0″ x 8.25″ x 6.0″
- Weight: 2 lbs. 9 oz without QRX212 modules / 3 lbs. 7 oz loaded with 2 x QRX212 modules
- Tone Level Selectable: -12 to -20 dB FS
- Display: Full color sunlight readable LCD
- Meters: Output / Input / Card
- Slate Mic: Internal / External